Lifestyle is one of the prime factors that affect your health. Various lifestyle choices that you make affect your physical being, including your joints and muscles – especially if you are suffering from arthritis.
Arthritis is a musculoskeletal disorder that is marked by joint stiffness, pain, and inflammation. It commonly affects people (from both sexes) in their middle ages. If proper care is not taken, this pain may worsen, and start affecting the movements of a person, thereby making him/her immobile. Although this condition is irreversible, still a few changes in lifestyle will help sufferers to improve the quality of their life. What are these changes? Read the post to know more.
5 Easy-to-Follow Lifestyle Changes to Manage Arthritis
Here are 5 simple lifestyle changes that will help you curb arthritis effectively:
- Shed Extra Weight: Maintaining a healthy weight is important for arthritis control. A study by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US show that obese adults are more likely to be affected by this disease. This is because the overall body weight is managed by joints. When joints are stressed due to the body weight, they undergo excessive wear and tear, stiffness, and inflammation, which increases the chances of arthritis. Hence, it is extremely important for arthritis sufferers to maintain a healthy body weight.
- Avoid Inflammatory Food Items: A study conducted by researchers at the Boston University of Medicine showed that there are various food items that elevate joint and muscle inflammation. These include various starch laden foods with a high glycemic index. These include white flour, mashed potatoes, white sugar, as well as trans-fatty acids, or saturated fats like butter, eggs, red meat, margarine, and vegetable oils. Processed snacks like cheese curls, crackers, baked savories, and chips also add to woes, because they are low on nutrients. Hence, it is important to supplement your diet with anti-inflammatory foods, which can effectively curb the symptoms of the disease. For example, if you are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, you can include food supplements rich in vitamin C, because they help in promoting cartilage and bone growth, thereby reducing infection. Food items rich in omega-3 fatty acids help in the prevention of inflammation, whereas vitamin D rich food items help in reducing the loss of cartilage, by aiding the bone to absorb calcium easily.
- Sleep Well: Sleeping fewer than 7-8 hours can increase the pain sensitivity, which worsens arthritis symptoms. If arthritis symptoms keep you awake in the night, then you can try these tips:
- Consume a glass of warm milk before going to bed. As milk is a natural tranquilizer, it will help regulate your sleep patterns.
- Take a bath in warm before the bedtime. This will help soothe your muscles and joints.
- Ask your physician to recommend painkillers or tranquilizers to ease the pain.
- Wear Assistive Devices: Arthritis sufferers are more likely to suffer from deformities in later stages, such as bow leg, or knock-kneed. Wearing shoe braces, unloading braces, or using a walking stick helps in redistributing the body weight, as well as reduce pressure on the joints. Assistive devices help prevent arthritis pain from worsening.
- Avoid Stress: Do you know negative emotional reactions have an adverse effect on the human body? It means the joint isn’t spared either. Stress and depression are two factors that are known to have a direct impact on your arthritis pain. Hence, it is important to overcome the stress by doing things what you enjoy the most. These may include, going on short vacations, indulging in various extracurricular activities, etc.
All these tips will help sufferers to relax, without arthritis affecting their daily lives. Today, arthritis sufferers are taking medications or undergoing surgeries to overcome the pain. All these seem to be effective for a while, but they aren’t recommended for a long term due to their adverse effects. This is where physiotherapy can make a difference. It is known to provide long-term relief, and is safe and easy to follow. Read the next section to understand how arthritis patients can benefit from physiotherapy.
Physiotherapy and Arthritis
Physiotherapy is considered one of the effective treatments for arthritis. This is because it helps you understand how arthritis inflicted pain affects your muscles and joints. Physiotherapists will also advise you on how to manage your pain naturally with home remedies. These remedies can be easily done at home, or you can take help of the professionals, too.
Know About Various Physiotherapy Treatments for Arthritis
There are various treatments that help arthritis sufferers to overcome pain in their joints and muscles:
- Ice Packs and Heat Packs: Both these will help soothe your swelled joints, and minimize inflammation, as well as increase blood circulation in those areas. A physiotherapist will help you understand how to use these packs efficiently to achieve desired results.
- Massage Therapy: This is one of the effective treatments for arthritis and many sufferers find it relaxing. Although one can massage the affected joints easily, still it is always better to approach an experienced physiotherapist, who will help you master this therapy.
- Exercises: This may sound little odd, however, exercises provide an effective relief from arthritis pain. Graded exercises are always better to follow because they allow you to start from slow, and increase the pace later on. Regular exercising strengthens muscles, or joints, and improves the fitness of the person involving in it.
Although the above-mentioned are common arthritis treatments available, still your physiotherapist is the best person to advise what will really work for you. As known, leading a normal life isn’t easy, if you are suffering from arthritis. However, the above-mentioned tips will help you enjoy a rewarding lifestyle.
Do you live in Pune? Are you suffering from arthritis and looking for an effective and non-surgical treatment clinic, which will help you overcome the pain naturally? You can consider Spinalogy Clinic based in Aundh, Pune. The clinic helps its patients to understand and implement various effective multidisciplinary treatments and physiotherapy techniques for arthritis treatment.